These Chocolate Brown Rice Crispy Squares were created because I needed a gluten-free, nut-free treat to make for my kids’ treat day at sailing camp. And it had to be kid-friendly as well! Oh, and tasty.
It was a tall order, but I finally came up with these crispy, chocolate-y little nuggets. They were delicious. I used brown rice crispy cereal so they are whole grain and definitely healthier than traditional rice crispy squares. The tahini adds a subtle nutty flavour without any nuts, and the honey holds it all together.
These are a new summertime favourite!
- 4 cups brown rice crispy cereal (not puffed rice cereal!)
- heaping 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup butter (or vegan butter if you prefer)
- 3 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the butter, tahini, and honey, and stir until blended.
- In a large bowl add the brown rice crispies, coconut, and cocoa powder.
- Pour the melted butter tahini mixture over the cereal mixture and stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into a 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper.
- Press the mixture firmly into the pan. Put some muscle into it!
- Put the dish in the freezer for 1 hour, then transfer it to the fridge and leave several hours, or overnight.
- Once set, cut into bars or squares and enjoy!
- Store the remaining bars in the fridge.